Monday, March 24, 2014

Sweet & Sour

I came home from work Friday afternoon to find a box on my front porch (a box from my friend Winavie, who has the blog Lemons & Chambray).

Winavie has a lemon tree in her back yard (hence the name), and she sent me a box full of fresh lemons!
with a cute little origami heart!
So sweet!!

(Winavie, not the lemons.  The lemons are sour, as lemons should be.)

And when life hands you lemons, you make Starbucks Lemon Cake Copycat Recipe.

(Obviously.)

Ingredients
1½ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon extract
⅓ cup of lemon juice
½ cup oil
zest of one lemon

GLAZE:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
½ teaspoon lemon extract

Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour a 9×5 loaf pan.
  • In a large bowl, combine salt, baking soda, flour and baking powder and mix well.
  • In a medium bowl, combine eggs, vanilla extract, lemon extract, butter, sugar and lemon juice with a mixer until well mixed.
  • Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and blend until smooth.
  • Add the oil and lemon zest and mix again.
  • Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  • Towards the end of the cooking time, put your glaze ingredients in a small bowl and wisk together until blended.
  • Remove cake from oven, pour glaze on top and let cool.

I wish I'd read this part sooner...
Notes
I like my glaze to stay a little thicker so I let my cake cool slightly before I pour on the glaze.

In spite of the fact that most of my glaze melted down the sides of the pan, this cake was delicious!

And luckily I have a lot more lemons, so I can try a lot more recipes (or a lot more cake!).

Thank you Winavie!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, so glad you're enjoying the lemons from my backyard. <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...