Sunday, August 1, 2010

I Fought the Law

And won!!

See this?



This is my car registration. I've had it since November. But it wasn't always stuck to my windshield...

On Saturday, my car was parked on the street in Nyack, NY. After lunch at Casa de Sol, I walked around the corner to find a meter reader in the process of writing me a ticket! I was sure (hoping!) that I had at least a minute left on the meter.

But, as it turns out, that's not why he was writing me a ticket. He was writing me a ticket because my car wasn't registered.

(Yes it is!)

I remember quite clearly the ENTIRE day I spent at the DMV back in November, registering that car.

So I told him, "Yes it is!".

But that wasn't good enough - he wanted proof.

Fine. I have every document related to that car dating back to the day I bought it on August 8, 1998.

So, I pulled out my stack of papers and found... the receipt from my last oil change, my insurance card, an old insurance card, another old insurance card (and another...), the registration from when it was parked at my dad's house in Iowa...

Everything except what I needed.

Finally, in exasperation, I asked the guy "How much is the ticket?".

$50

So, I started looking again.

I was ready to give up, and the meter reader was obviously running out of patience, despite my margarita-induced witty banter.

But then, in a moment of inspiration, I looked above the visor.

There it was!

At that point, everything changed! The meter reader showed me where to put it, ran back to his office to get tape (when he inadvertently pulled off the adhesive portion) and even taped it to the window for me!

And he didn't give me that ticket!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...