Sunday, August 15, 2010

Gimme a T!

(Shirt)

No, don't.

I already have 104 of them.

104!

T-shirts!!

It all started with this article in the New York Time last week.

This couple decided to downsize and live a simpler life. They read about the 100 Thing Challenge, which encourages people to commit to living with only 100 personal items.

The challenge is intended for people who feel like they have too much stuff.

That's me.

Now, I have no problem getting rid of stuff. In fact, I kind of like it.

But 100 items seems a little extreme (especially to a girl with over 100 t-shirts alone). I could probably do a "100 Category Challenge" (sweaters, DVDs, dishes...). But 100 items?

Ummm, no.

But I do feel like I have too much stuff.

So, I started with the t-shirts. I knew I had a lot. (But 104? I had no idea.)

I pulled them all out and only put back the ones I actually wear. I still have a lot... about 50. But that's a huge improvement! (And, 10 of them are Iowa t-shirts, and I NEED those. Go Hawks!)

I had planned on just going through the t-shirts, but couldn't stop myself. So, I moved on to pants, skirts, sweaters...

It took the entire weekend, but I've finished sorting though ALL of my clothes.

The one thing I learned is: Don't buy anything you don't love.

I've bought a lot of things I didn't love for a lot of reasons, and these are the things I'm now getting rid of. And, there's a LOT - 6 overflowing large shopping bags.

But, I've always wanted to have a closet where I love everything in it.

And now I do!

Here's how I did it:
1. Pull everything out of your closet or dresser by category (skirts, sweaters...).
2. Put back everything you love and wear regularly.
3. Put everything you know doesn't fit or you don't love into a bag for charity
4. Everything else? Try it on. Does it fit? Do you love it? If not, put it in the bag.
5. If you're not sure, set it aside and look at it later. (Most these ended up in the bag. I mean, if I didn't love it the first time...)
6. I went through the bag one last time. It's ok to take some stuff out. (I did.) Maybe it doesn't quite fit now, but hopefully it will again someday.

But, that's another project...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...