Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!


"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man."
Benjamin Franklin

If, like me (and, apparently, Benjamin Franklin), you also make New Year's Resolutions, here are some tips on actually keeping them.

Corporations are always going on and on about SMART goals, which are usually (in my opinion) really boring (but can be useful when making New Year's resolutions).

SMART goals (resolutions!) are:
Specific
Measurable
Attainable (Aim low!)
Relevant
Timely (Don't wait until the last minute...)

My SMART resolutions this year:
1. Lose 7 pounds (although 10 would be better...)
2. I have a specific savings goal, which may (or may not) be attainable
3. I've lived in my apartment for 3 years, and still have temporary blinds. It'd be nice to get ALL the projects done around my apartment (it's a small apartment, so that's probably attainable)
4. This is the year I finally knit a sweater
5. And learn how to play "You are My Sunshine" on the guitar (I love that song...)

Other suggestions for keeping New Year's resolutions include:
- Only make a few resolutions, so you aren't overwhelmed (5 is plenty, I think)
- Tell people what you're resolutions are so they'll hold you accountable (post them on the internet, for example)
- Reward yourself along the way (although I'd just be happy to lose the 7 pounds)

Good luck keeping your resolutions and have a very Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...