Saturday, December 18, 2010

It's Christmastime in the City

My holiday-related goals for today were to go to the "Gifted" holiday market in Brooklyn, where I would find unique, inexpensive gifts,


then run next door to Target to pick up holiday candy (specifically Hershey's Kisses and red & green M&M's) that I would then turn into festive holiday treats.

Well, I finally made it into the Gifted market (after being briefly trapped in a corner of the lobby by a couple with a stroller), but was instantly distracted by the prices, which were...

exorbitant.

So, instead of looking for unique, inexpensive gifts, I started taking note of $15 Little Golden Books


$24 View Masters


and a $150 magazine rack.



(My favorite was the $12 Petit Marseillais shower gel, that sells for about 2 euro at Monoprix in Paris.)



I left empty-handed (of course) but even more determined to raid "the junk shop" back home for stuff to sell here. (And Monoprix on my next trip to Paris.)

I then walked across the street to Target. The Hershey Kisses were on sale (!), and although I couldn't find plain holiday M&M's, I thought I could make do with almond.

So I made my way downstairs, to what could not possibly be the line to check out.

Except it was.

I stood there, in shock, until a security guard tried to direct me to the end of the line. Instead, I turned into the nearest aisle and dumped an armful of holiday candy onto the nearest shelf and walked out. (Empty-handed again.)

After a less-than-enjoyable ride on the subway from Brooklyn to Manhattan, where someone thought we'd all benefit from listening to Rihanna, I may never leave home again.

Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...