Saturday, January 8, 2011

The (Imperfect) Imperfectionists

In honor of my recent stint as "journalist", I decided to read The Imperfectionists, by Tom Rachman.

The Imperfectionists is a novel about an English-speaking newspaper, headquartered in Rome.

Each chapter focuses on a different member of the staff, and reveals various personal imperfections:
- desperation (both personal and professional)

- insecurity (and a tendency to compare ourselves, usually unfavorably, to others)

- loneliness, and the lengths some people will go to avoid it

- giving up

- inadequacy

- jealousy and revenge

- selfishness

- arrogance

- timidness

- ambition

Each chapter also contains a flashback to the history of the paper and the newspaper industry in general.

I thought the book was... good.

I didn't LOVE it.

But, I think it would prompt some really interesting conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...