Monday, March 22, 2010

Rocky Mountain Hi!

Got back late last night from a great trip to Denver.

I arrived Wednesday night (St. Patrick's Day!), hungry for fish & chips and a cider beer. The first Irish pub we tried had a line outside the door, so we went to a cute little gastropub called Argyll, in the Cherry Creek neighborhood, instead. (http://argyllpub.com/) It was crowded, but not too crowded, and we couldn't understand why.

Until now.

It's Scottish.

(Close enough.)

Thursday was GORGEOUS - warm and sunny.

My friend Tom took me to South Pearl Street (www.oldsouthpearlstreet.com), where we sat outside and had a delicious lunch at Gaia Bistro.

Then, since I can never just walk past a bookstore, we stopped in Murder by the Book, which specializes in mysteries. And, since I can never leave a bookstore empty handed, I bought a book called "Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor" It's a "Jane Austen Mystery", written by Stephanie Barron (a local Denver woman!) and is the first in a series, written in Jane Austen's style, with Jane Austen as the detective. How can it not be awesome?!?

After a cappuccino on the deck at Stella's Coffee House, we drove to Boulder and test rode (?) Electras at University Bicycles (http://ubikes.com/),


How cool is this bike?
It's the Electra Deluxe 3i in Candy Red.

I love it!




had a quick beer at The Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery (www.mountainsunpub.com), then stopped by my friend Elise's to meet her puppy, Ziggy.

So cute...

Friday was... NOT gorgeous. It was cold & snowy - the perfect day to go to The Tattered Cover bookstore (yes, another bookstore) in LoDo (www.tatteredcover.com/)...




A cozy corner
of the Tattered Cover
in LoDo.




then meet my friend Ted at my favorite Denver bar (it's an "Iowa bar"): The Sports Column (www.denversportscolumn.com), to watch part of the NCAA tournament.

After the game, Tom dropped me off at another branch of The Tattered Cover (I know...), then the Cherry Creek Shopping Center, where I discovered Martin & Osa (www.martinandosa.com). So many cute things!

Then it was back to Tom's for leftover Chinese take-out, basketball, and watching it snow.

Saturday was better - still cold, but sunny. Tom couldn't resist 9 inches of fresh snow at A-Basin, so Elise picked me up and we went shopping.

Three pairs of shoes and a pink Kipling laptop bag later, we were in the Highlands neighborhood (www.highlands-square.com), watching the end of the KU game at Three Dogs Tavern. After that humiliating loss, we met Tom, and Elise's husband Brian, at La Loma Mexican Restaurant (www.lalomarestaurant.com). Great margaritas! (The food is good too...)

Sunday was my last day in Denver. Elise picked me up and we met Tom and Brian on South Gaylord Street (www.southgaylordstreet.com) for brunch (and the build your own bloody mary bar!) at The Tavern Wash Park.

Then it was time for me to go home, thinking this really should be an annual event.

At least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...