Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Goldfinch

At 771 pages, The Goldfinch is epic.

It took a while - almost a whole month - but it really is good.

Not perfect, but good...

PROS
  • The main character is really not likable.  That may sound like a con, but it's actually a refreshing change.
  • It's very suspenseful. (I was so nervous!)
  • Donna Tartt is so descriptive. I could picture it all in my head. (This probably contributes to why it's 771 pages, but I wouldn't take any of that out.)
  • Some of it is really depressing. 

CONS
  • Some of the dialogue is really (really) far fetched.
  • There's one part where the timing is just too perfect.  I mean, it could happen, but it was just too lucky.
  • There's a too long (in my opinion) section about the main character's (author's?) thoughts on life.
  • Some of it is really depressing.
Anyway, that satisfies one of the books on the 2016 Reading Challenge.

I'm not sure what's next.

"A book that's under 150 pages" sounds good.


1 comment:

  1. If you want a good book under 150 pages...I recommend The Pecan Man.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...