Friday, January 10, 2014

Resolution Evolution

Initially I didn't make any New Year's Resolutions this year.

Then I read something somewhere about someone (specific, I know) who had made a resolution to get rid of 10 things every day for 30 days.

I love getting rid of stuff, so I decided to do that too.  

It's so easy!  

I've gotten rid of expired medicine, old phone books and catalogs, movies I've watched and books I've read (and don't intend to ever watch or read again), and I'm working my way through dozens of those little bottles of shampoo and shower gel from hotels I've stayed at over the years.  

Then I started thinking about how some say it takes 30 days to make (or break) a habit.

In addition to clearing out the clutter, I would really like to spend less money.  I don't spend A LOT, but I could (should!) cut back.  

So I decided to not spend any money for 30 days.

NONE!

I want to break the habit of spending money I don't really need to.

I already have more than enough to eat, drink, read, watch, knit and home improvement projects to do.

So instead of going out to watch the Iowa bowl game on January 1, I took my salsa to a friend's house and watched there.  (The black eyed peas did not prove to be good luck after all.  The Hawkeyes lost an exciting game 14-21.)

Ten days later, I still haven't spent any money!  

(None!)

I know at some point I'll have to start spending money again (Tuesday, in fact), but I've come up with a budget for the first time EVER.

This is going to be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this idea! DEcluttering is the best! I may have to try it...especially when the kids are asleep and toys that are collecting dust can disappear.... and clothes that don't fit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...