Sunday, January 15, 2012

Fastest Quilt Ever

I still haven't finished my first quilt, but when I read that The City Quilter was offering a class with this description...

"In one afternoon complete an entire quilt from cutting to binding.  This simple, textural quilt is faux-pieced & quilted at the same time, making it super fast.",

I signed up right away.

I was even more excited when I learned we would be making this quilt...


which I've always loved.

This quilt really couldn't be easier to make.

Unlike other quilts, with tops that are pieced together, the top of this quilt is a solid piece of fabric.

The blocks are then simply sewn onto the front, a quarter inch inside each edge, which eventually becomes nicely frayed...


To make the quilt, you simply lay out the back fabric (wrong side up), then the batting, then the top fabric.  We used fusible batting, which adheres to the fabrics when ironed (so much faster than pinning!).

The quilt in the shop was made using straight lines of evenly spaced square blocks.  In class, however, we cut our blocks "wonky", meaning intentionally cut at slight angles.


Unfortunately, despite the claim in the class description, I wasn't able to finish this quilt in one day (not even close!).

I managed to get at least one edge of each block sewn on, but still need to sew the rest of the edges, then add the binding.

I like it so far...


but don't know if I love it.

I do love the style, though, and it really is easy incredibly fast and easy, so I'll probably keep trying!

1 comment:

  1. I just saw this on thediydish.com. Funny. I love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...