Sunday, October 18, 2015

Live, Work, Play

Back in January, I accepted a position as the General Manager of an event center - planning weddings, corporate meetings, fundraisers, etc.

I did like certain aspects of the job...
Most brides were not even remotely bridezilla-y and with a mobile phone and an internet connection, I could work from anywhere, anytime.

But...
Because I didn't have a set schedule, I worked pretty much every day. This was my entirely my fault though - if the phone rang, I'd answer it.

The worst part, though, was I had very little help.  It's not easy in a town of 2,000 to find people interested in only working a few hours a week, especially when that work is physically demanding (moving tables and chairs) and requires a lot of very late nights.

So, I had to do a lot of it myself. As an example, one weekend I went in at 11am and left at 4:30 the following morning, came back in at 9am (yes, 4.5 hours later) and worked until 11pm. 32 hours in 2 days. This was not atypical.

So, when I received a call from the Dubuque Area Chamber of Commerce asking if I'd be interested in coming up to talk about a possible job opportunity I said "YES!".

I loved my previous job at the Chamber of Commerce in Bellevue, and I love Dubuque so this is perfect!

My primary responsibilities will be Marketing and Membership - helping promote our local businesses and make "Dubuque the best place to live, work, play and do business".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...