Wednesday, January 23, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

When I moved home last year, my salary dropped by about 90%.

I'm not complaining (really!), but I have had to adjust my lifestyle a bit.

(Ok, a lot.)

So this year, my primary New Year's Resolution is to implement "The Austerity Plan".

According to dictionary.com, austerity means "strict economy" (which is what I desperately need!).

So when I saw the book Dining In by G. Garvin in a thrift store in Ft. Madison, Iowa for $2, I grabbed it.

The recipes look delicious (and easy!).  And it got really good reviews on Amazon.com!

And "dining in", then taking leftovers to work, will definitely help with The Austerity Plan.

My first attempt at keeping this resolution, though, didn't come from this book (but someday it will!).  Instead, I found this recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Chili from the Budget Savvy Diva.

My official taste tester said it's one of the top 3 meals he's ever eaten!  I hope you enjoy it too!

Ingredients
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 chicken breasts
1 can black beans (rinsed)
1 can corn, undrained
1 can Rotel, undrained
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 teaspoon cumin
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 8 oz package light cream cheese

Directions
In a large skillet, heat oil and cook onions for 8 minutes
Add garlic and cook for one minute
Set your crock pot to low
Add chicken, onions and garlic, black beans, corn, Rotel, seasonings, and ranch mix
Stir
Add cream cheese on top, cover and cook for 6 – 8 hours
Shred chicken before serving using two forks

Enjoy!

My friend Winavie at Lemons & Chambray made some resolutions I might try to keep too!

Next month - All You Need is Love (Happy Valentine's Day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...